Vacant Foreclosed Property Registration
Informational bulletin regarding Colerain Township Planning and Zoning Department’s Residential Foreclosed Property Registration effective June 11, 2013.
- Vacant, foreclosed property shall be maintained free of all outward appearances of foreclosure and vacancy during the registration period including:
- No signs or placards on the exterior of the building or in the windows indicating that the property is vacant or foreclosed.
- Grass shall be no higher than 10 inches at any time and all noxious weeds shall be removed.
- The premises shall be maintained free of debris and litter.
- The premises shall remain secure and locked. Broken windows and doors which are visible from the right-of-way may be covered with plywood or similar boarding material on an emergency basis, but for no more than ten 10 business days while arrangements are being made to replace broken glass or broken parts of the existing windows and doors. Broken windows and doors on the rear or sides of the building may be boarded until the windows and doors are repaired for re-occupancy provided that the boarded openings are not visible from the public right-of-way.
- Windows and doors which are visible from the fight-of-way may not be boarded and shall be maintained in good repair.
- Handbills, circulars and advertisements shall be removed from the porches and yards in a timely manner.
- Standing water on the premises, including but not limited to standing water in swimming pools, shall be eliminated.
- All other applicable property maintenance provisions in the Colerain Township Planning, Building and Zoning Resolution remain in effect.
Point of Sale Inspection
At the time the court enters an order for the registered property to be sold, the Township must inspect the property. Any violations noted must be corrected by the mortgagee within 30 days or the Township may make the corrections and place a priority lien for the total cost on the tax duplicate. An exemption from the point of sale inspection along with a registration fee may be available if an approved alarm system is installed in the property at the time it becomes vacant. Please review the Property Registration Resolution (PDF) for requirements not included in this bulletin.