Colerain Township turns 225 years old in 2019. To celebrate our history, Colerain will be rolling out series of articles, hosting a few extra events, and will be coordinating some fun challenges. Be sure to check out this page early and often to stay up to date on all of the fun.
A big thank you to the Coleraine Historical Society and Northwest Local School District. These two groups are partnering in the planning, coordinating, and hosting of all of the events.
Fun Colerain Historical Facts:
- Our name is based off of Coleraine, Ireland.
- Colerain Township has a sister city arrangement with Obergiesing, a suburb of the German city of Munich.
- The cattle brand of the township was ordered to be the letter G.
Know of any other fun facts? Give us a call at 513-385-7500 and let us know!
The Search for the Longest Continuous Resident - 225 Year Anniversary
To start off the Township’s 225th Anniversary, we currently are seeking the longest continuous resident. That is to say, the person who has lived in Colerain Township for the longest period of time. This resident must have so many interesting stories about how Colerain has changed over the years and we want be able to share them to our community.
The Township wants to congratulate the citizen who has lived in Colerain Township the longest. Whether it has been 70 years, 80 years or their entire life, let us know if you or someone you know may qualify! To enter, please contact Jesse Urbancsik at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-923-5021. Please include your name, # of years that you have lived as a Colerain resident, and the subject line "Longest Tenured Resident" in your email. The Township will accept names until March 31st, 2019.
On behalf of our 225th Anniversary, Colerain Township is going to commemorate this exciting year with a time capsule. We are currently looking for suggestions of items to place in this time capsule to be dug back up at a later date! All ideas are welcome and this is for everyone in the community. Historical items from the past or even items from 2019 are great additions. Please use your imagination and feel free to contact Jesse Urbancsik at 513.923.5021 or email@example.com.
If you know of any time capsules buried in the past, please contact the Coleraine Historical Society at 513.385.7566 or firstname.lastname@example.org at let them know the details.
To celebrate Colerain Township’s 225th Anniversary, The Coleraine Historical Society is teaming with Elementary Schools in the Township for the “Flat John Dunlap Project”. Much like the well-known “Flat Stanley”; we are curious to see where John Dunlap will travel this Summer.
Students who attend any elementary School in Colerain Township are encouraged to color the picture and take Flat John Dunlap with you on your Summer Adventures. Participants are asked to take pictures of themselves with their Flat John Dunlap and email them to The Coleraine Historical Society at email@example.com Be sure to include Name, Age, School, Grade and phone Number .
Pictures received will be displayed on Coleraine Historical Society website, at the 4th of July Celebration and at Heritage Day of September 28, 2019. Project timeline is May 15 to August 31, 2019. 5 pictures will be randomly selected from entries and the 5 children will:
- Receive a Restaurant Gift Card
- Be introduced at the September Board of Trustees Meeting
- Have their picture buried in the 225th Anniversary Time Capsule
- Dunlap Station and the Symmes Purchase
- MUEHLENHARD Family
- Churches of Colerain
- 225 - The History of Arbor Day
- Historic Cemeteries Article
- Gravestone Inscriptions and Cemetery Records book
- Colerain Township Historic Cemeteries July 2018
- 225 - Abner Hunt Tree
- A TOUR OF HISTORICAL AND OTHER SCENES IN COLERAIN TOWNSHIP
- Who was John Dunlap?
- 225 - Groesbeck Fire Department
- 225 - Colerain Fire Department
- 225 - Dunlap Fire Department - NEW
- 225 - Colerain Fire Department - Teaser Article
- Colerain Police Department
- Constable John H Willsey