Pursuant to O.R.C. 511.32, no person shall use or operate any radio-controlled or other remotely-controlled aircraft, including drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles, or any other similar device in any park or facility without specific written permission from the Office of Parks and Services.
General Township Registration
Registration to operate drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles may be granted in accordance with the following guidelines at Dravo & Heritage Park. Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles are prohibited at all other township parks and properties.
- Complete registration application including indemnification agreement.
- Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles shall be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) when applicable – Registration number must be on the craft.
- Applicant must provide proof of liability insurance to cover personal liability, medical, damages in case of an incident. Insurance can be acquired through the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
- Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles may not be flown within 50 yards of playgrounds and picnic shelters
- Encourage to become a member of AMA
- Familiarize yourself with “Know Before you Fly” education campaign to educate prospective users about the safe and responsible operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/
- Signs indicating “Drones & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Prohibited” will be placed in township parks and properties (except for Dravo and Heritage Park)
- Signs indicating “Drones & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Permitted” will be placed in Dravo and Heritage Park with the statement “Registration Required” contact 513-385-7503
- Unregistered drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles will be subject to citations and penalties in accordance with Ohio law.
Federal Aviation Administration UAS Registration
Effective December 21, 2015, anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 19, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties.
More information and specifics on UAS registration with the FAA can be found here: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/UA/
Academy Of Model Aeronautics (AMA)
AMA is the world’s largest model aviation association representing its members. There are more than 175K members from around the world. It is a self-supporting non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreational activity.
AMA offers its members insurance and is a voice with the Federal Aviation Administration. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and park departments.
Please see http://www.modelaircraft.org/ for more info on AMA